Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Medical Update

I woke up from a chest pain induced coma (or a much needed rest that made the pain go away) to a packet from FedEx laying on my bedroom floor. I was super excited but excitement didn't show as much this time because I was half asleep and groggy. I woke up completely and opened the packet and laying in my lap was a pound worth of paper from Peace Corps. My medical packet has finally arrived!

I immediately began making phone calls to doctors and dentist. I had heard such horror stories of not being able to get appointments quickly or getting charged a lot from dentist for an exam, so I wanted to be on top of this. I'm so on top of this that last week I called my VA hospital to see if they even made appointments for Peace Corps volunteers. And they do, I spoke with a guy that was more excited about me getting my packet than I was! Well I called back but couldn't remember the department he was in, so I was transferred back and forth and put on hold and after only 30minutes I was connected to the man that will help make my dreams possible. He remembered me and was so excited to meet me. The last two PCV he worked with went out to Africa. So next week, I get to walk right into his office and get medical papers filled out. I also found a dentist close by that will do exams and x-rays for free (btw, the sound for X is /ks/ and is most commonly found at the end of words like 'fox', lol, I just had to throw a bit of work into here!). Hopefully I won't need any dental work, like teeth pulled, ugh that's the worse thing ever. EVER! And I'd have to pay for it. Also if I don't have to have anything additional then the review process will go a little quicker and I might get an invitation within a few months.



Side note: I applied to Americorps a long long long time ago and I just now received an email that says I have been accepted to a program. It sucks that it's taken so long to hear from them. But I'm glad the ball has been rolling faster with Peace Corps because that is where I really wanted to be. I definitely learned patience waiting to hear from Americorps.

Under note: I'm gonna have to mention this chest pain to my VA doctor. But for now I'm doing okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment